If you're planning a trip using our mobile app on iOS or Android, this article will help you get started! If you're planning using the web app on our desktop site, check out this article instead: Planning a Trip on Web App
Starting a New Trip
Ready to plan your epic road trip!? The Roadtrippers app has a few simple options to create a trip.
From the Nearby Section
The Nearby section is the first thing you see after launching the app.
- Tap the Start New Trip button
- On the new trip form, enter a starting place or start from your current location (default option) and enter a destination in the To or "Where are you going?" field. You can search for an address, city, or place (ex. Zion National Park). Matching options that we have on our map will come up in a list as you're typing.
- Then tap the Start Trip button! A trip will be automatically created and opened on the map.
From the Map Section
If you're browsing around the Map section in the app, you can start a new trip by tapping the green car icon in the bottom right.
Just like when creating a trip from the Nearby tab, enter your destination on the new trip form and tap the Start Trip button. A trip will be automatically created and opened on the map.
From Search & Explore
Trips can be created from search results, too.
- Go to the nearby or Map section in the app.
- Tap the Search & Explore bar at the top and search for a city, address, or place of interest.
- With the Search and Explore menu open, try searching for a city or place of interest. Matching options that we have on our map will come up in a list as you're typing.
- Once you see a match for what you're looking for, tap the green car icon to the right.
- The create new trip form will open, make changes to the starting point if necessary and tap the Start Trip button. A trip will be automatically created and opened on the map.
From Categories List
Trips can be created from the categories list view while exploring places on the map. Tapping the green mini car-button will create a new trip with the place you've selected.
After selecting categories on the map, open the list view by tapping the 3 dots with lines icon in the upper left. Once you have the list view open, simply tap the green car icon to start a new trip with that place as the destination.
From Place Pages
Lastly, new trips can also be started from a place page. When there isn't a trip active on the map, tap the Start Trip button on a place page to create a trip with it (note that if you already have a trip active on the map, you'll see an Add to Trip button instead).
The create new trip form will open with the place as the destination. Make changes to the starting point if necessary and tap the Start Trip button. A trip will be automatically created and opened on the map.
Adding Waypoints to Your Trip
After setting your destination, now it's time for the fun part - finding and adding stops along the way!
- Click the + button at the bottom right of your itinerary to manually add waypoints in the Trip Planner. Cities, addresses, and even attractions can be entered here!
- Explore our categories of over 12,000,000 places to find places you'd like to check out.
Learn more about how to add places to your trip and explore our categories in the articles below:
Editing Your Waypoints
- Remove a waypoint by tapping on the waypoint you want to be deleted and selecting the Remove option.
- Rearrange waypoints by doing a long tap on the waypoint to grab it, then dragging and dropping it in the list of waypoints.
- Assign a date to a place by tapping on the waypoint and selecting the Set Date option.
- Add a note to a place by tapping on the waypoint and selecting the Notes option.
Once your trip is routed, your Trip Stats will appear at the top of the Itinerary in the trip planner. This includes the number of waypoints, the total estimated driving time for the trip, total estimated mileage, and estimated cost of gas.
Trip stats update automatically as changes are made to your trip and also appear in your Trip Guide.
Adjust Distance and Route Shade
The route shade is an area around your trip that can be expanded or contracted with the adjust distance setting. The distance setting indicates how far off your route you are willing to go to visit places and this limits where places load when exploring our categories while planning a trip.
The size of the shade will adjust as you update the distance setting. For example, if the distance slider is set to 5, all places within the shade are 5 miles from your route or less.
With a trip opened on the map, tap the 3 vertical dots in the upper right to launch the map settings, and select Adjust Distance from Route or Adjust Search Radius. Select a new radius option and tap done.
Customizing Trip Settings
Follow the steps below to open the Trip Settings:
- Go to the Profile section in the app.
- Tap to select the trip you're working on.
- Tap the 3 vertical dots in the upper right.
- Select the Trip Settings option from the list.
Here you can
- Edit the name of your trip.
- Enter a description for your trip, if you'd like.
- Specify your fuel settings.
- Edit your trip's privacy settings.
Web App Features
Note that not all trip-planning features from the web app are available in the mobile app, including the option to customize your route by dragging the trip. However, these features are in the works!
For more advanced editing, we recommend creating a trip on the app, then logging onto the desktop site at Roadtrippers.com and further editing the trip there. Changes made to the trip on the web app will automatically sync to the trip in the mobile app.